Sunday 11 January 2015

Why I'll Never Post a Quinoa Recipe

Quinoa is a tiny grain that many nutritional crackpots like to describe as a 'superfood'. Although it only grows in Peru, Bolivia and Ecuador, in recent years it has found its way into Western countries. I've tried it several times, and I have to say I'm not impressed. I mean, it's okay, but the way some people talk about it you would expect the most thrilling food experience of your life.

Here's why I don't use it:

  • It only grows in South America, and therefore has to travel halfway around the world to get to me
  • Its price has trebled over the last 20 years, putting it out of reach of the people for whom it used to be a staple
  • The marketers insist it is pronounce 'keen-wah', but I can never bring myself to say it like that. The name is Spanish, and Spanish is pretty much a phonetic language. So it should be pronounced 'kwin-oh-ah'
  • It seems to have little or no flavour - you might as well eat cous-cous

1 comment :

  1. Find Chinese, Indian, Mexican fried rice recipies here. Our recipes are yummy and delicious.

    ReplyDelete